This is Our Life...

Friday, May 9, 2008

"Non-Mom"????? I am appalled!!! *UPDATED*


NBC is running an "Americas Favorite Mom contest".

Here is the link: http://www.americasfavoritemom.com (copy and paste)


If you click on the finalists link you will see a category for "Non-Mom's". This contest included adoptive moms in the NON-MOM category!!! What the heck?!?! Why in the world is an adoptive mom classified as a Non-Mom?

I am every much the same as any other mom, the only difference is that I did not give birth to my child. My child did not grow in my belly, but in my heart!

I wake up in the middle of the night and soothe my child's cries, I feed him, I clothe him, I nuture him, I educate him and on and on. How am I any less of a mom just because I didn't go through labor??


Then it goes on to describe one of these Non-moms, saying that there is a distinction between one's "OWN" children and adoptive children. Here is the blurb on Jennifer Keller:

"She was an adopted child who is now mom to her own daughter, plus six adopted children who started life as "meth babies".


I understand why some of the finalists would be listed in the non-mom category (ie. the women who helped raise her siblings, or the women who runs an orphanage). But how is it acceptable to include adoptive moms in this category!?!

Ironically, Marie Osmond is helping to promote this contest, and she is an adoptive mom herself.

If anyone would like to voice their outrage to nbc for being completely offensive to adoptive mother's please email them here:

today@nbc.com

*******UPDATE**********
This is on the site now:



Teleflora is immediately changing the name of our "Non-Mom" category to "Adopting Moms". After closer examination, we can see how this may have been offensive to moms who have adopted children -- moms who are indeed real moms to their children in every sense of the word. In fact, many of us at Teleflora are “adopting” parents ourselves, including our president and owner. The essence of this category still focuses on a grandparent, neighbor, step mom, or mom to adopted or foster children, each one raising and loving a child.

This show of insensitivity on our part was in no way intended and we deeply apologize for any concern or distress we may have caused. It was always our intent to salute and celebrate all moms.



Not sure if I am happy about this or not. I still feel like myself, and fellow adoptive mothers have still not been entirely heard. Why should there be 2 seperate categories still? Adoptive mothers vs. biological mothers?!?! Even more suprising is that the president of Teleflora is adopting, and still sees nothing wrong with seperating the "adoptive moms" from the regualr mom's. How are we not regular moms???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home